English For All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Restrictive and non-restrictive clauses

2 posters

Go down

Restrictive and non-restrictive clauses Empty Restrictive and non-restrictive clauses

Post  Teacher_Abdelkrim Wed May 14, 2008 12:46 pm

Read the following sentences and put commas around the non-restrictive clauses. Put an N after
the sentences that are non-restrictive. Put an R after the sentences that contain a restrictive
clause. Leave those sentences without internal punctuation. A few of the sentences could be
either, but the meaning would change.

1. Charles Dickens who was great writer in the late 19th Century is the author of Little Dorrit.
2. The piece of chocolate cake which probably has a million calories in it was delicious.
3. My favorite place to ski is Snow Basin in Utah which is one of the least crowded resorts.
4. The guy that my old roommate married is boring.
5. He reads and studies maps for fun which is no exaggeration.
6. I love the weather which has been so nice lately in Arizona.
7. My graduation from Arizona State University this August which I am extremely elated about
has been hard earned.
8. I am jealous of the guy in my neighborhood who drives a hot 1969 Chevy Camaro.
9. Methods of Teaching English which is my favorite class this semester meets on Tuesday nights.
10. I had the answer that made the most sense.

Don't take a look at the answers untill you finish the exercise!cyclops

Answers: 1. N, 2. N, 3. N, 4. R, 5. N, 6. R, 7. N, 8. R, 9. N, 10. R
Teacher_Abdelkrim
Teacher_Abdelkrim
Admin

http://english4all.on.ma

Back to top Go down

Restrictive and non-restrictive clauses Empty Re: Restrictive and non-restrictive clauses

Post  soukaina-oubella Thu May 15, 2008 4:25 am

Razz thank u teacher ....... Razz
soukaina-oubella
soukaina-oubella

Back to top Go down