English For All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

application form...

2 posters

Go down

application form... Empty application form...

Post  soukaina-oubella Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 am

study study why an application form :

Many recruiters ask graduates to apply using a company application form. This enables an employer to compare applicants on a like-with-like basis in terms of their approach to and completion of a standard form. The use of application forms usually indicates a more transparent and scientific approach to recruitment on the part of the employer.

There is more likely to be a ‘job specification’, with notes provided on how to complete the application form. When you submit a CV, you might imagine selling yourself to a reluctant reader whose attention you need to capture. When you fill in an application form, imagine a systematic reader checking that you meet clearly set criteria.

Education

Some forms are short on space for listing all your qualifications or modules. It may be possible to summarise key results or modules and refer to a fuller listing on a separate sheet, in the additional information box, or as ‘available upon request’. If in doubt, contact the employer to confirm. Similarly, if your qualifications don’t translate into UCAS points and there’s no room for explanations, contact the employer to ask how to proceed. The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service website has a section on the comparability of international qualifications, which may help.

Employment/work experience

List your jobs in reverse chronological order by job title.
If you didn’t have an official job title, try to think of one that describes your position well.
Full addresses are not usually required.
Describe your responsibilities or achievements in your job experience roles, bearing in mind the skills the employer is seeking.
You can group together or prioritise some experiences if space is limited.
The section on power words has some useful suggestions for terminology.
Interests and achievements
Similar principles apply as for your work experiences.

Emphasise key words that demonstrate evidence of your skills.
Focus on demonstrating appropriate behaviours rather than seeking to impress an employer with an amazing achievements.

bounce santa study flower

Sample personal statement

When addressing a criterion asking for a commitment to promoting Equal Opportunities:

‘I have always tried to ensure in my personal and work life that I am sensitive and inclusive of the cultures and circumstances of other people. In 2006, I worked as a mentor/facilitator to a group of students on the Aim Higher project to encourage pupils from non-traditional backgrounds to consider applying for university. I designed projects and activities that recognised and focused on the diverse experience within the group to ensure participation. The programme was successful for the pupils and a rewarding learning experience for me, as it showed the potential and understanding that results from working with mutual respect.’

[The first sentence is the STATEMENT, the second and third sentences describe the EXAMPLE, and the last sentence is your REFLECTION.]

Avoid simply repeating the words used in the job specification in your responses .

Personal statements

Many application forms require you to complete a personal statement in support of your application. You will usually be asked to give your ’reasons for applying’ and other information relevant to the job specification, including your knowledge, skills and experience.

Your personal statement should relate directly to the specifications of the job or course you’re applying for. It’s important that you address all the points in the job specification in the order in which they appear. Imagine this being used as a checklist by the person short-listing.

Address each point on the job specification in a clearly themed paragraph:

In your first sentence you might make a short STATEMENT summarising how you meet or relate to the requirement.
The next few sentences should provide a concrete EXAMPLE of the assertion(s) you’ve just made.
A final sentence that shows REFLECTION will add depth to the point you’re making .

Before you send the form

Ask someone with a fresh pair of eyes to check through the application. You may not be able to see your own mistakes. Print a copy of your application and keep it with the job advertisement details. You may need this later for interview preparation! ... bounce study
soukaina-oubella
soukaina-oubella

Back to top Go down

application form... Empty Re: application form...

Post  Teacher_Hanane Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:27 pm

queen
thnx for your interesting contribution
Teacher_Hanane
Teacher_Hanane

Back to top Go down

Post  soukaina-oubella Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:45 am

I love you welcome teacher....... I love you
soukaina-oubella
soukaina-oubella

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum