English For All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roudani High School Mock Exam

Go down

Roudani High School Mock Exam Empty Roudani High School Mock Exam

Post  Teacher_Abdelkrim Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:09 pm

Are We Pushing Our Children Too Hard ?

Most parents want their children to take part in some after-school activities – perhaps extra maths or extra reading to stop them getting behind in class. But some take it to extremes, pushing their youngsters to take extra classes in everything from music to athletics to ensure they become the brightest and best.
Organizing activities outside the classroom can only be healthy for kids in widening their knowledge as well as their social circle. But aren't we in danger of pushing them too far, or even risking their self-esteem or hindering their development by making them do things they don't enjoy and at which they fail?
Educational psychologists agree parents should try to encourage their offspring to take part in activities that the children are genuinely interested, and not to put too great an emphasis on success or failure. As Professor Barry Sudworth senior lecturer in psychology at the University of Teeside, points out, " one of the dangers of pushing a child too far is that he or she will be made to feel that they are not good at anything. There is something wrong with having parental ambition, but you have to take note of their particular capabilities and where their real interests lie. The development of children only happens at certain stages. This isn't to say that parents shouldn't choose some activities for their children. After all, how many children have declared they hate playing the piano, for example, only to find that they are actually good at it?"
Some parents who encourage their children into all sorts of after-school activities say, with justification, that running around a football field or on a netball court, for example, helps drain away the academic stress they are under. Many claim that having the balance between the classroom and the playing field even helps their children's academic work. But how do we find the balance between too much and too little? Barry Sudworth suggests putting a limit on the number of activities children do and ensuring some of them are away from the school environment.
As Trevor Jellis, an educational psychologist, says, " life is a long journey. Just because a child isn't interested in something now doesn't mean that he will not develop an interest in it in years to come. Too many things in this life are done by individuals who are not motivated by what they're doing. It's much better to wait until someone is motivated – even if this means you have to wait until adulthood."

I. COMPREHENSION.(15 marks)
BASE YOUR ANSWERS ON THE TEXT.

A. Tick the correct answer.
( 3 marks )
1. The text is probably taken from:
A. A play
B. A novel
C. A newspaper
D. An autobiography

2. The theme of the text is:
A. Women
B. Humour
C. Education
D. Environment.

B. Are these sentences true or false ? Justify ( 4 marks )
1.Professor Sudworth believes that it is risky to have too many after-school activities.
2.According to Jellis, interest and motivation may take time to come out.

C. Answer these questions. ( 6 marks )
1.Why do parents force their children to take after-school activities ?
2.In what way can outside-school activities be beneficial to children?
3.What does Sudworth propose for effective after-school work ?

D. What do the underlined words refer to? (1 mark )
1.Some ( Line 2 ): …………………………………………..
2.Them ( Line 21 ): ….……………….…………….

E. Find in the text expressions or words meaning the same as. ( 1 mark )
1.Blocking ( paragraph two )
2.Decrease ( paragraph 4 )

II. LANGUAGE. (10 marks).

A. Rewrite the sentences using the words given. ( 2 marks )
1.The club has promised the players substantial prizes if they win the match.
The players……………………………………………………..….…………………………………………………..
2.Although the weather was warm, Zineb was dressed in heavy clothings.
In spite of ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

B. Fill in the gaps with the suitable phrasal verb ( 2 marks )
went off – go on – put off – turn down - turn off - look up - break into – turn on
1."Why did Karima ……………………… your invitation ? " I am so sorry to hear that.
2.Ten American soldiers died when a roadside bomb ……………………………..
3.Can you ………………… the computer, please ? I want to type a letter.
4.Could you …………………………. the departure time of the next train ?

C. Give the correct form of the verbs between brackets. ( 2 marks )
1.You had better ( to visit ) …………………………. a doctor to examine you to feel well.
2.The thief admitted ( to steal ) ……………………… the Queen's jewelry and was sent to prison.
3.By the time I finish reading this 2000-page book, I ( forget ) …………………… its beginning.
4.We ate at a restaurant last night because I ( not / buy ) ……………………… anything for dinner.

D. Give the correct form of the words between brackets. ( 2 marks )
1.We need to ( production ) ……………….. more if we want lower prices.
2.The entertainment industry has been quick to benefit from ( technology ) ………..…… developments.
3.Thanks to the internet , people thousands of miles apart can ( communication ) ……..……. instantly.
4.Listening centres offer women ( law )……………………. and psychological assistance.

E. Form collocations using the words in sets A&B. ( 2 marks )
A: cultural - - - - - - - - - - highly - - - - - - - - - - wedding- - - - - - - - - - rural
B: customs - -- - guidance- -- - domestic - - - - exodus ----- educated - -- - globalization
1………………………………. 2………………………….. 3………………………….. 4………………………….

D. Fill in the gaps with a suitable word from the list: ( 2 marks )
devote – entertainment – resources -- citizenship –globalization – deprive – dowries

1.Communities face challenges as their social, economic and environmental …………………….. are
damaged or exhausted.
2.A lot of people can not get married because brides and their families ask for high ……………………
3.With higher incomes and a longer life span, more and more people can now ……………………..……. time to
leisures of all different kinds.
4……………………… involves enjoying rights and exercising responsibilities in the various areas of
community.

E. Match the sentences with their corresponding functions. ( 2 marks )
1.I am so sorry to say this , but your sons always beat my beloved daughter.
2.To my mind, true friendship does not exist.
3.I share your view : mixed marriages cause a lot o problems. .
4.Would you mind lending me your trainers to practice sport, please ?
A. Definition. B. Agreement C. Complaining. D. Opinion E. Request F. Apology.
1…………………….2…………………………..3…………………………4……………………………

F. Complete this conversation. ( 1 mark )

You lost your friend's photo album
You: ( Apologise to your friend ) …………………………………………………………………………………..
Your friend: ( React to the apology ) ………………………………………………………………………………

III. WRITING ( 10 marks )

"More and more students cheat in the quizzes and exams."
Write a letter to your teacher of English explaining the reasons why students resort to
cheating and suggest some solutions to solve this dangerous phenomenon.
Teacher_Abdelkrim
Teacher_Abdelkrim
Admin

http://english4all.on.ma

Back to top Go down